Friday, December 16, 2022

Dec 17 - The Person Within

The Person Within
Saturday, December 17, 2022
By Carol Macy

Scripture: John 17

Key Verse: John 17:13-19
“Now I am coming to you. I told them many things while I was with them in this world so they would be filled with my joy.  I have given them your word. And the world hates them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world.  I’m not asking you to take them out of the world, but to keep them safe from the evil one.  They do not belong to this world any more than I do.  Make them holy by your truth; teach them your word, which is truth.  Just as you sent me into the world, I am sending them into the world.  And I give myself as a holy sacrifice for them so they can be made holy by your truth.
With the advent season comes anticipation of things new.  Christ came as a newborn baby to be a living Lord and Savior. 

Jesus was not a regally attired King as was expected. He arrived as an infant born in a humble stable. He was raised by Mary and Joseph and probably spent many years learning Joseph's trade of  carpentry. There are few scriptures detailing his life growing up. He would probably have experienced sibling rivalry as did those of us who grew up in families with brothers and/or sisters. We know from scripture, that when he began his ministry, his teachings were not accepted by the residents of Nazareth where he grew up.

Today I still remember the joy and wonderment experienced by a three year old grandchild while sitting on the floor in his uncle's lap on Christmas eve. Once he had removed the brightly colored Christmas paper from his gift, he exclaimed, "Look, Uncle Trevor, a box!!!" He was totally unimpressed by the bright wrapping, but was excited by what he found under the wrapping even though it was not the intended gift. His reaction was the embodiment of an old adage, "You can't judge a book by its cover."



In my more than 50 years as a nurse, I learned that the greatest joy came not just from caring for others, but from getting to know the person within. Just as I discovered the greatest joy came from getting to know the person within, so too, the greatest joy comes from studying the words within the Bible. It is through this study that we get to know God the Father, Jesus our Savior and the mission He has for us, so we too can pass on the joy which He has promised us.

May we continue sharing His word throughout the year and not just during the Christmas season.
     


No comments:

Post a Comment