Thursday, December 22, 2022

Dec 23 - Tell Everyone

Tell Everyone!
Friday, December 23, 2022
by Brian Groe

Scripture: Luke 2:1-20
Key Verse: Luke 2:17-19
After seeing him, the shepherds told everyone what had happened and what the angel had said to them about this child.  All who heard the shepherds’ story were astonished, but Mary kept all these things in her heart and thought about them often.

Traditionally, Luke the physician and companion of Paul is the author of the Gospel of Luke.  In fact between Luke and Acts, the author of this book contributes 27% of the material in the New Testament.  Luke contains a considerable amount of information that is not contained anywhere else in the New Testament.  Tradition says that Luke got this information by interviewing eyewitnesses.

Think about that for a minute.  Say one of the shepherds was 10 years old when Jesus was born.  That would make him 43 when Jesus was crucified.  It was likely 20-25 years later that Luke began his research, that would put this particular shepherd in his mid 60's, which for that time and for his occupation would make him an old man.  I'll bet that he still remembered that night clearly, and could recite everything the angel said because he had told the story so often.  



In our verses today we have 2 reactions to the same incident, and they are both things that I need to incorporate into my own life.  First the shepherds told everyone!  They told them about the angels.  They told them what the angels said.  They told them about the child that they had seen in the manger.  I am sure that they didn't really understand what it all meant, but they told everyone what they had seen and heard!  AND all who heard were astonished.  It was quite a story, and all who heard it were amazed.

Secondly, Mary kept all these things in her heart, and thought about them often.  Mary thought often about the visit of the shepherds that night, and the message that they brought from the angels.  She cherished every word, and every sight.  

In a similar way, I need to contemplate what God is doing in my life.  Every day God is working within me as I walk with Him.  I need to open the eyes and ears of faith to see and hear the wonders of God in all that surrounds me.  I need to always keep at the front of my mind the many blessings God has given me.  Then I need to go out, and speak of God's love and grace towards me, and tell everyone I see of the grace and love of God that we celebrate all year long.

As I was searching for Advent Prayers, I found an interesting quote.  I like things that make me think, and this quote got me thinking in a new direction:

Advent Reflection

In one sense we are always traveling,
    and traveling as if we did not know where we are going.
In another sense we have already arrived.

We cannot arrive at the perfect possession of God in this life, 
    and that is why we are traveling 
    and we travel in darkness. 
But we already possess God by grace, and therefore, 
    in that sense, we have arrived and are dwelling in the light.

But oh! How far have I to go to find You in Whom I have already arrived!

- Thomas Merton, "Dialogues with Silence"

For a song today I have chosen Tchaikovsky's Hymn of the Cherubim.  Since the choir is singing in Russian, here is the text for this song.

Text by W. G. Rothery, 1909

Angel Spirits, ever Blessèd, 
    offer praise on high unceasing,
Ever crying Holy, Holy, Holy 
    Lord God of Sabaoth.

Saints and Martyrs Blessèd 
    praise Thy Name, Trinity Lifegiving,
Ever crying Holy, Holy, Holy 
    Lord God of Sabaoth.

In the angelic Song, let us join 
    before Thy Throne on high, 
    Blessèd, Blessèd Trinity
Ever crying Holy, Holy, Holy 
    Lord God of Sabaoth.

Amen.
Glory be to God in the highest.
With the angelic Throng, we join 
    in Songs of Praise for ever.
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah. 



Holy Lord: Who is, and was, and is to come.  Open my eyes to see afresh the wonders of grace that You perform every day.  Open my ears to hear the songs of praise sung by angel choirs.  Open my mouth to proclaim Your love to everyone that I see.  Thank You for the great gift of salvation that we celebrate today.   Amen

PS - As we wrap up this year's Advent Blog, I want to thank Bambi for organizing, reminding and shepherding this effort.  Thanks to everyone who contributed their wonderful memories, thoughts and prayers to this effort.  Thanks also to Pastor Andy for his leadership that made this possible.  Most importantly thanks to you our readers for making this a success. Let's join together in thanking and praising God for the wonderful gift of salvation that we celebrate during this season.   

Finally, allow me to remind you of the schedule of coming events:
  • On Saturday, December 24 (Christmas Eve) there are services at 5:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. in the Sanctuary.  The 5:00 p.m. service will be livestreamed on the church's YouTube and Facebook page.
  • On Sunday, December 25 (Christmas Day) there will be a potluck style breakfast in fellowship hall at 9:15.  There will be one service at 10:00 in the Sanctuary.  We will be singing Christmas Carols.
  • Recorded and livestreams of our services can be seen on the FUMC West Plains YouTube channel at youtube.com/@fumcwestplains244/featured.
  • For more information about First United Methodist Church of West Plains, MO see our website at fumcwestplains.com.
We hope that everyone has a blessed and joyous Christmas.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this time of devotion and reflection leading up to our Savior's birth. It has definitely been a blessing. I will miss the daily connection this gave me with my church family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a blessing. I thank each one of you who participated. Special thanks to Brian. You all have enriched this time of our personal preparation to once again welcome our Emmanuel and Savior.

    ReplyDelete