Saturday, December 24, 2022

Dec 25 - Music Filled the Air

Music Filled the Air
Sunday, December 25, 2022
by Brian Groe


I know that we said this would be an Advent Blog, but since it is Christmas Day I wanted to add one more post as a farewell to Advent for 2022.  

I have really enjoyed selecting music for the blog over the last month, and there were a few more choral pieces that I wasn't able to get included into the daily devotions.  These are all pieces that are traditionally done during the Christmas Season, and ones that Diana and I have performed in the past as part of choirs.  I hope that you enjoy these pieces as much as we do.

First from The Messiah.  There are so many rich and treasured songs that we remember and sing during this season.  For Unto Us a Child is Born is one of the most memorable.  



If you want to hear the entire Messiah, please click HERE.  This video presents all 3 sections of The Messiah (about 2.5 hours), and when I played it there were no commercial interruptions.  It is worth listening to the end to hear Worthy is the Lamb and the final Amen chorus.

I love singing choral music from Russian composers.  They really know how to write a bass line!  Salvation is Created by Pavel Chesnokov is a beautiful piece that both Diana and I have enjoyed singing in the past.



A few years ago, the Community Choir did the Pinkham Mass with David Hall.  Diana and I have sung this mass a couple of times, and it has always been a challenge, but it was a joy to sing it with David.  Here is the Gloria In Excelsis Deo

Randall Thompson's Alleluia is a wonderful expression of praise and joy.  As we celebrate this wonderful Christmas season, may we all raise our hands to say Alleluia.



Let me end this with one of my favorite Christmas hymns, In the Bleak Midwinter by Gustav Holst.  What can I give Him poor as I am?  What I can I give Him, give my heart.



I hope you have enjoyed these songs.  Thank you all for your support over the last month.  We would love to hear your comments about this effort.  You will find the comment box at the bottom of this post.  

May God richly bless each and every one of you in the coming year!


1 comment: