Sunday, December 11, 2022

Dec 12 - The God of Hope

The God of Hope
Monday, December 12, 2022
by Elgar Macy


Scripture: Romans 15:1-13

Key Verse: Romans 15:13
I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.

It was the Christmas season of 1977.  On December 23rd of that year, the USS Guadalcanal pulled into the harbor in Barcelona, Spain.  As a member of the ship's company on a six month Mediterranean deployment we were going to be spending Christmas and New Years in the Spanish port.

As I walked the streets of the city I decided to see if I could find a nativity set for the family back  home since we didn't have one yet in our home.  I had heard that Lladro Porcelain had some really nice sets, and being made in Spain I figured I could find one rather easily.  Scouring the local shops I discovered that most of their nativities had been sold out prior to our arrival in Barcelona.


Not to be deterred I continued my quest and discovered a unique nativity in the window of a small shop located in a back alley off the beaten path.  I went inside to examine it closer.  To my surprise it turned out to be a Lladro Children's Nativity.  The three kings with their gifts did not hold gold, frankincense, and myrrh, but instead held a toy car, a puppy dog, and a wrapped package for the baby Jesus.  The faces of the figurines were that of children, the kings, the shepherd, as well as the choir of Angels.  It was beautiful!  As the father of three young children at the time, it was relatable and ideal for them as they grew up.  Today, forty-five years later, we still display that nativity in our home every year bringing joy and memories back to our children, and now to their children as well.


The God of Hope fills us with all joy and peace as He did that day for me when I first gazed upon that childhood manger scene with Mary, Joseph, and the baby Christ child, Jesus, in the small shop window in Barcelona, Spain.
But Jesus called them to Him and said, "Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them for of such is the kingdom of God."    Luke 18:16

Jesus, you are light even in the darkest places. 
Help us to trust in you when we are lost or lonely. 
Shine hope into our hearts we pray. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment