Monday, December 12, 2022

Dec 13 - Love One Another

Love One Another
Tuesday, December 13, 2022
By: Fredia Campo

Scripture: John 15:1-17
Key Verse: John 15:10-17
When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow!  This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you.  There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.  You are my friends if you do what I command.  I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.  You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name. This is my command: Love each other.
There could be some questions that enter our minds as we read this part of God's Word.  "If you obey My commands, you will remain in My love, just as I have obeyed My Father's commands and remain in His love.  I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.  My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." (John 15:10-12)  Does not God love us no matter what?  Even if we disobey sometimes?  Yes He loves us, however we become disconnected from Him when we disobey His commands (directions).  Disobedience hinders fellowship with Him, and interrupts the flow of love.  Tod disobey is our decision, not God's.  God desires to flood us with His love, but if we do not listen to Him, and insist on pursuing our own wishes, then we have "unplugged" from the source of love.

In verse 13, Jesus expresses His love for us in willingly laying down His life for us.  He did this in obedience to the Father.  Because he was obedient and laid down His life and shed His blood for His friends.  God will forgive our disobedience and we can be reconnected and back in fellowship with Him.  he then states again how important it is to be obedient: verse 14 "You are my friends if you what what I command."  He offers us so much.

In the last part of verse 1q5, "for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."  He tells this to His disciples that he chooses.  This should give us encouragement.  Jesus appointed them to go and bare fruit.  They were obedient and because they were we can consider ourselves some of the fruit that they continue to bear.

Midway through verse 16, "then the Father will give you whatever you ask in My Name."  He told this to His disciples.  They had a big job ahead of them, to tell the world who Jesus is and His love for them.  It was very important that they be obedient, stay connected and believe they could accomplish whatever God required of them.  Then He gives them this command, "This is my command: Love each other."

We have a big job ahead of us.  Let us love each other (as He loves us).

A Prayer for Resting in God's Love 
God of Goodness, 
I come into your presence so aware of my human frailty and yet overwhelmed by your love for me. I thank you that there is no human experience that I might walk through where your love cannot reach me.

If I climb the highest mountain you are there and yet if I find myself in the darkest valley of my life, you are there.  Teach me today to love you more.

Help me to rest in that love that asks nothing more than the simple trusting heart of a child.

- Author Unknown


1 comment: