Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Feb 22 - Ash Wednesday

What is Lent?
by Lori Wheeler

Scripture Reading: Matthew 4:1-11

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted there by the devil. For forty days and forty nights he fasted and became very hungry.  Matthew 4:1-2

As we prepare to observe Lent as a body of believers, we are once again going to be publishing a series of Devotions written by several people from within our church. At Christmas, we had the opportunity to learn so much about God’s Word and how He can speak through others during their times of meditation on His Word. Preparing for Lent and getting the most out of this special time gives us an opportunity to experience an even deeper love for God. As with Advent, it is important that we understand what Lent truly is. How does it apply to our lives, and ultimately deepen our relationship with Him?

First- let's begin with what Lent actually is. As United Methodists, we believe that Lent is a time of repentance, fasting and preparation for the coming of Easter. It is a time of self-examination and reflection. Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and continues for 40 days, excluding Sundays, ending on Holy Saturday. Holy Saturday is the day before Easter.

It is possible to look up creative ways to observe Lent, but as you begin to truly meditate on how you can purposefully observe this time, I want to encourage you to allow the Holy Spirit to speak to your heart. During meditation on His Word and your personal prayer time, God will begin to reveal the potential for a deeper connection with Him. How CAN we self-examine and reflect? Do we really want to? Can we look closely at repentance? Repentance for what? Can we choose something truly difficult to fast for 40 days? Can we lean on Him to control maybe anger, addiction, time management, relationship battles...? And- what keeps us from spending quiet time reading His Word? What if...what if when we do, He begins to speak to our hearts truths that may seem difficult? Looking at the things that separate us from God or keep us from spending time with Him are very personal, and that’s why it’s important for us to truly seek Him and His will as we prepare for Lent; rather than entering into this season reluctantly or half-heartedly, we should allow Him to show us things we can give up that truly will allow us to reflect and that will deepen our relationship with Him.

Some will tell you to do something extra or take on something extra during Lent like feeding or helping others, scheduling time to visit shut-ins, increasing your tithes, practicing kindness, and every one of those things are truly Godly things to do, but I would like to challenge you to do those things in addition to a true fast. Because I truly believe that there is something each and every one of us can abstain from that will draw us closer to God, something that will allow us to look to Him for strength and decrease the things that keep us from spending quality time with Him. After all, that’s what Jesus did in Matthew 4.

In the beginning of Matthew 4, the first 11 verses, Jesus is tempted by Satan in the wilderness. As I began reading and studying these verses to prepare for this devotion, my first question was, why was Jesus in the wilderness? He had just been baptized and His Father’s voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were present, all at one time. And then the Scripture says that Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. He fasted for a period of 40 days and 40 nights. It then says He was hungry. Hunger can often be a desire for much more than food. We can also hunger for control, power, “things”, position, and so much more. We are told that the devil tempted Jesus by appealing to his physical hunger but also to his position and faith, and what he mistakenly projected onto Jesus, a potential human desire for power and control. Satan twisted God’s words to appeal to Jesus, but Jesus continued to remain obedient to His heavenly Father. Jesus listened but didn’t entertain the offerings of the enemy. He resisted the devil and used God’s words to send him fleeing. He chose His words so carefully, but so did the enemy. The enemy was so careful to try to choose offerings that would appeal to the human ego, but Jesus chose words that would emphasize the truths of God. When I’m faced with temptation, I want to be able to respond as Jesus did, but I can only emphasize the truths of God if I know them, and the season of Lent offers the perfect opportunity for growing in that area.  


The Temptations of Christ

 
So why did Jesus retreat to the wilderness? He was led by the Spirit to do so. He had had an encounter with His Father in one of the rarest moments recorded of the Trinity as One. A moment when God himself spoke, “with him I am well pleased.” A moment of perfection shortly before Jesus was to begin His ministry and begin to call others in to prepare for what we celebrate as Easter. And as I opened His Word to meditate for this devotion, He truly illuminated this text and that brought with it such a deep desire to serve better, to study with purpose, to seek His presence even more, and to glean His will in my life. This year, I feel He is calling me to a wilderness encounter of sorts, to separate myself from other distractions and intentionally set aside time just for God, and possibly even a battle with those things that I know are preventing me from being a more purposeful and prepared vessel that can lean on God to go through times of struggle.  If these verses don’t speak to anyone else, they certainly spoke to me. Deciding whether to participate in Lent, for the right reasons, is so important, and I think He really showed that to me during my meditations. It is not something to take lightly or choose something that really isn’t a challenge to commit to. For me this year, I feel convicted to choose in a way that will not only free up time to spend with God, but to have a need for Him to help me stay true to that commitment as I repent, self-examine and reflect.

Will you join me?

Blessings.



We hope that you enjoy the following selection titled New Wine by  Brooke Ligertwood




1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Lori! This was very well-written & a very profound challenge for each of us! I am praying for the Lord to show me what He wants me to give up for His glory & my growth in HIM....

    ReplyDelete