Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Dec 20 - Prepare the Way for Jesus

Prepare the Way for Jesus

Wednesday, December 20, 2023
By:  Larry Ball

Scripture: Matthew 3:1-12

Key Verse:
In those days John the Baptist came, preaching in the wilderness of Judea and saying, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”  Matthew 3:1-2

“I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire."  Matthew 3:11


Which road to take? That was a question I prayed about some 20 years ago. Things in my life seemed to be crashing down on me; I was in a deep valley both with my work and with my family. I was praying sometimes and going to church regularly, but I suddenly realized I was a Sunday Christian. Meaning I was striving to be a faithful servant only one day a week, and not following God’s plan for my life the other six days. It was at that point I said, “Lord Jesus I surrender all to you and your master plan.” In order to surrender all, we must chose to put Jesus first in our heart. By choosing that road and God’s plan for our lives, we will experience Christ’s grace, love, peace, and joy.

John the Baptist followed God’s plan and became a great preacher, telling people “Repent of your sins and turn to God, for the Kingdom of Heaven is near.” (Mathew 3:2) John prepared the way for Jesus by preparing others to welcome him. When they confessed their sins, he baptized them in the Jordan River. John said, “I baptize with water those who repent of their sins and turn to God.” (Mathew 3:11) Let us make straight the road for One coming very soon who will baptize you with the Holy Spirit. 

We, too, can be road builders and urge people to repent, confess their sins, be baptized and live for Christ. John compared people who claim they believe God, but don’t live for God to unproductive trees that will be cut down and burned up. When Jesus returns, he will separate the believers from the nonbelievers and gather the believers unto himself while telling the nonbelievers he never knew them.





Lord Jesus we love you and praise you; help us witness to the lost and help them to repent, confess their sins, and put your love in their heart. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment