Saturday, December 9, 2023

Dec 10 - Help the Weak

Help the Weak
Sunday, December 10, 2023
by Crystal Hammack

Advent is a time of preparation for the birth of Jesus. When I was growing up we had Christmas service with the children in each class performing in a skit or reciting, usually singing the beloved Christmas songs. It was a lot of work for the adults helping plan, practicing with the kids, and then sweating it out during the service. I know when the service was over they all were relieved. Mistakes, forgotten lines, hijinks were all a memory. There was a lot of love shown during advent.



In everything I did, I showed that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words of the Lord Jesus,"It is more blessed to give than to receive."  Acts 20:35     

Jesus was a constant example of how to help those in need by doing whatever you do in love.

Who are the weak? Not everyone who we think "look" weak, are. Many people are born 'differently abled' than the mainstream. Others become that way through illness, accidents, wars, mental illness. Many of these people learn to do things in ways I can't even imagine doing, like having no arms and dressing a newborn, or playing an instrument with your feet, painting with your mouth. Adjusting after loss of a body part, or one of the 6 senses.

Then there are those who seem to be confident and have 'it' all together. Physically healthy, good job, happy family. But they have fears or guilt they are hiding from themselves and others.  They work 'harder' to keep the image, until it takes it's toll one way or another. This can make them weak. God sees the truth. He wants us all, in all our strengths and weaknesses, to come to Him. He wants us to do what we do in love, 

Hard work doesn't mean doing more than you are physically or mentally capable of . It changes for everyone depending on what season of their life they are in. Working out of duty becomes a burden and a person can get bitter and resentful. They can internalize that and become bitter, mean people. It is more blessed to give than to receive but only if given in love and without restrictions. If we tithe and then wish we hadn't given so much or if we give someone money and then worry about what they may do with it, we would be better off not giving. Jesus wants us to give with an open hand, not a clenched fist.

I have been a nurse since nursing school. Much of the days, or nights, were very difficult, in ICU. I went in to nursing because I felt it was my 'calling'. Sometimes I was able to make someone feel better and sometimes if they were facing a frightening procedure or diagnoses, I would ask if I could pray with them. I could see the lessening of anxiety, even if it was 'just' the Lords' Prayer. I enjoy giving. Sometimes I can feel my fist clenching, worrying about are they really homeless or are they scamming. I know then it is better for me not to give at that time, to wait until I feel ready to give freely.

Does this mean we shouldn't receive? I don't think so. When someone offers me a compliment I feel embarrassed or not so special. I used to shrug it off but someone told me that I was negating the blessing they were giving me. I was raised with better manners than that! Now I try to say thank you. We know that God is often where we are, here in West Plains.

As God works in your life, things happen. The old has passed away, the new has come(Paul). God wants us to be responsible, properly using what he's given us. He gives us goals to work toward. Phil2:12  Work out your own reward with fear and trembling. Let all you do be done in love. 1 Corinthians 16:14. We should work under the promise that "he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ".





Prayer to Know God’s Will

May it please the supreme and divine Goodness
to give us all abundant grace
ever to know his most holy will
and perfectly to fulfill it.

—St. Ignatius of Loyola


No comments:

Post a Comment